Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Chronic sore throat - PLEASE HELP

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Chronic sore throat - PLEASE HELP

Hi I would really appreciate if you could listen to my story as no one else will.

In Sept 2012 I had an incident whereby I thought I contracted HIV.  Following this traumatic incident I get tested for numerous STDs a number of times all ok.  My stress levels were awful and still are.In Feb 2012 I developed a really sore throat. The docs wouldn’t listen and kept telling me it was viral when in fact I suffered from Strep G for three months. I took the antibiotics for the infection however the sore throat remained.  I have been in continuous pain for the last 13 months and all I seem to want to do is cry.  I have been to over 10 doctors.  I have had an ultrasound to check my thyroid and lymph nodes (everything fine), I have had about 6 blood tests since (everything fine), I have had a gastrostomy (everything fine), I got my tonsils out 7 weeks ago (throat still in constant pain), following this I have since had my allergies tested, and a CT scan which showed Rhinitis and I am allergic to Wheat, Diary,  Pork, Pollen, Dust, Mould etc.  I have since changed my diet starting last week, bought a dehumidifier for my room as it is an old house with mould potential, I have now started to take a lot of immune boosting herbs, and started acupuncture, don’t smoke and stopped drinking.

My question is this, Can you be suffering from post-nasal drip without actually feeling the drip down your throat.  My throat is constantly raw and inflamed and the Docs won’t listen to me.  Its now stared in my chest like it feels heavy so I steam myself with Epsom Salts and Vicks vapour rub which helps relieve the pressure.  Another question is that can post nasal drip actually cause such chronic pain day in day out and if so is there anything that can help as I am down and out at this point every day is a struggle I have not had one day relief in over a year and am determined to stick at it.
I can understand how what you have experienced would be very frustrating.  

You cite a lot of testing, none of which has provided a definitive diagnosis and ask if one can have post-nasal drip without actually feeling the drip down the throat?  The answer is yes, you can.

Sore throat can be the result of infection, post-nasal drip, especially of infectious material or the result of “silent” (without heartburn) gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD).  There have also been recent reports, in the medical literature, of Neurogenic Sore Throat; that is soreness caused by inflammation of the sensory nerves of the throat.

I have copied one report of this theory, below.  I have also copied a report that discusses the possible benefits of Chinese Medicinal Herbs.

I suggest that you share this message with one or more of your doctors and ask specifically about the possibility of GERD (see above) being the cause.  Also ask if the current treatment of your post-nasal drip is optimal.

Good luck,

Unique Identifier 22890476
Status MEDLINE
Authors Renner B. Mueller CA. Shephard A.

Authors Full Name Renner, Bertold. Mueller, Christian A. Shephard, Adrian.
Institution Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Krankenhausstr. 9, 91054 Erlangen, Germany. bertold.***@****-erlangen.de

Title Environmental and non-infectious factors in the aetiology of pharyngitis (sore throat). [Review]

Source Inflammation Research. 61(10):1041-52, 2012 Oct.
Other ID Source: NLM. PMC3439613
Abstract OBJECTIVES: The aim of this review is to examine the causes, pathophysiology and experimental models of non-infectious pharyngitis (sore throat).

INTRODUCTION: The causes of sore throat can be infectious (viruses, bacteria, and fungi) or non-infectious, although the relative proportion of each is not well documented.

METHODS: A PubMed database search was performed for studies of non-infectious sore throat.

RESULTS AND CONCLUSIONS: Non-infectious causes of sore throat include: physico-chemical factors, such as smoking, snoring, shouting, tracheal intubation, medications, or concomitant illness; and environmental factors including indoor and outdoor air pollutants, temperature and humidity, and hazardous or occupational irritants. The pathophysiology underlying non-infectious sore throat is largely uncharacterised, although neurogenic inflammation looks to be a promising candidate. It is likely that there will be individual disposition factors or the coincidence of more than one irritant with possible--up to now unknown--interactions between them. Therefore, experimental models with defined conditions and objective endpoints are needed. A new model using cold dry air to directly induce pharyngeal irritation in humans, with pharyngeal lavage to measure biomarkers, may provide a useful tool for the study of mechanisms and treatment of non-infectious sore throat.
Publication Type Journal Article. Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't. Review.
Date Created 20120912
Year of Publication 2012
Chinese medicinal herbs for sore throat.
Huang Y, Wu T, Zeng L, Li S.
Source
West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Chinese herbal medicines are commonly used to treat sore throat in China and are used worldwide by practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). Their efficacy in treating sore throat has not previously been systematically reviewed.
OBJECTIVES:
To assess the efficacy and safety of Chinese herbal medicines for patients with sore throat.
SEARCH METHODS:
We searched CENTRAL (The Cochrane Library Issue 4, 2011) which contains the Cochrane Acute Respiratory Infections Group's Specialised Register; MEDLINE (1966 to week 3, November 2011); EMBASE (1980 to December 2011); AMED (1985 to December 2011); the Chinese Biomedical Database (CBM) (1975 to December 2011); and China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI) (1994 to December 2011).
SELECTION CRITERIA:
We included randomised controlled trial (RCTs) assessing Chinese herbal medicines for the treatment of sore throat, with the outcomes of recovery, inefficacy, and adverse events.
DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS:
The three review authors extracted and analysed the data. One review author contacted the study authors of potential RCTs.
MAIN RESULTS:
We included 12 studies involving 1954 participants. We identified ten studies as being of methodologically poor quality and two studies as being of medium quality. We did not perform a meta-analysis but reported the results separately. Six formulations were shown to be superior to the control in improving recovery: Ertong Qingyan Jiere Koufuye was more effective than Fufang Shuanghua Koufuye for acute pharyngitis (odds ratio (OR) 2.52; 95% confidence interval (Cl) 1.11 to 5.74); Yanhouling mixture was more effective than gentamicin atomised inhalation for acute pharyngitis (OR 5.39; 95% CI 2.69 to 10.81); Qinganlan Liyan Hanpian was more effective than Fufang Caoshanhu Hanpian for acute pharyngitis (OR 2.25; 95% CI 1.08 to 4.67); sore throat capsules were more effective than antibiotics (intravenous cefalexin) for acute pharyngitis or acute tonsillitis (OR 2.36; 95% CI 1.01 to 5.51); compound dandelion soup was more effective than sodium penicillin for acute purulent tonsillitis (OR 5.06; 95% CI 1.70 to 15.05); and eliminating heat by nourishing yin and relieving sore-throat methods combined with Dikuiluqan Hanpian was more effective than Dikuiluqan Hanpian alone for children with chronic pharyngitis (OR 2.63; 95% CI 1.02 to 6.79). Another six formulations were shown to be equally efficacious as the control.
AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS:
Based on the existing evidence in this review, some Chinese herbal medicines for treating sore throat appeared efficacious. However, due to the lack of high quality clinical trials, the efficacy of Chinese herbal medicine for treating sore throat is controversial and questionable. Therefore we cannot recommend any kind of Chinese medical herbal formulation as an effective remedy for sore throat.