Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Cold Urticaria Disability

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Cold Urticaria Disability

My 13 year old son was diagnosed with cold urticaria about 3 years ago. I cannot say to what degree he has it however he can swim in the school pool without medication and walk to the bus stop  in 14 degree weather without breaking out so I assume it's not an EXTREME case. I read in the paper a few months ago about a girl who will break out thru her jeans in cold weather. Perhaps he would over time but just being outside in that weather for 5-8 minutes does not trigger it. My question is that I read on the internet a few months ago about a lady who has the inherited form and she said it is considered a disability. Are both forms considered a disability and should I pursue this with my state?
It would be wise to reevaluate the basis for the diagnosis of your son’s cold urticaria.  As you describe his current circumstance, it does not suggest the diagnosis.  The course of cold urticaria is quite variable but in many instances, becomes progressively more severe with the passage of time, following the onset.  In addition, cold urticaria must be distinguished from the familial cold auto-inflammatory syndrome which is characterized by a cold-induced popular rash, not true urticaria, and is classified in the family of hereditary periodic fever syndromes.  That the latter might be deemed to be a disability by Social Security Disability is understandable but it is a very different disease.

Most decisions on disability are based not on a diagnosis but on the severity of the functional impairment resultant from the disease.  In addition, as a parent you might want to be a bit reluctant to have your son labeled with a chronic disease, abnormal because of it and significantly impaired.  That type of labeling, especially problematic if unwarranted, could pose a number of problems for him in the future, in a variety of circumstances.

Some cases of cold urticaria can be managed with desensitization by immersion in cold water.  Finally, there is now effective ************** for cold urticaria, including treatment with Xolair ® (omalizumab).

Good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Anyone get SSI DIsability for Cold Urticaria? was started.