Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Constant sore throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Constant sore throat

Hello, my name is Nikhil.  For the past year i have constantly been getting recurrent sore throats. I feel over the last 4 months, my sore throats have been more and more frequent. This sore throat is followed by a runny nose and nasal congestion, which is not too bad, but unfortunately this has been occuring way to frequent. I feel that lack of sleep and any form of excercise immeaditely contributes to an itch in the throat and eventually a sore throat. With one night of bad sleep or even a few hours of strenous excercise, i contract a sore throat. After visiting an ENT specialist and running tests, it was found that my blood count was normal and the throat swab yielded normal flora. The only abnormality was the IgE test which was very very high. The doctor intrepreted this as severe allergies but was not able to connect this with a lack of sleep and a weak immune system. I am a little confused as to what this test means. And how can this be related to a weak immune system and if so what can i do about it.
An elevated serum immunoglobulin E (IgE) level is unrelated to a lack of sleep and is not an indication of a weak immune system.

ENT specialists are usually not familiar with the causes of this abnormality but your specialist was correct in suggesting that it might be a sign of allergies.

There are a number of conditions, in addition to allergy/hypersensitivity diseases that are associated with high levels of serum IgE.  Paradoxically, some immunodeficiency diseases are accompanied by excessive production of IgE antibodies.  The best advice we can give you is that you arrange for consultation with an allergist/immunologist, for this is the specialist most familiar with the causes of elevated serum IgE and the specialist most likely to determine and treat the cause of your elevated IgE.

Good luck.