Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Could this be soy allergy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Could this be soy allergy?

Few days ago I had soy vanilla-flavored milk that I do not normally take. Less than an hour after that I noticed trouble with swallowing and soon I started feeling pressure in my throat. I didn't have trouble breathing but my airways felt somewhat constricted. The feeling lasted for day and half. Next day I woke up with post-nasal drip. The thing is that I do not normally have soy milk. I only had it on 2 other occasions. The week before I also had vanilla soy milk in the evening and woke up with the exact same feeling of tight throat that, again lasted for few days. It was followed with post-nasal drip like this time. At this point you would normally suspect soy allergy, but there are few things that just don't fit in. I had chocolate- flavored soy milk a month ago (that was my first time to try it) with no adverse reaction. I also thought that it might be vanilla that is causing the issues but I had vanilla products all my life and not a single problem.Another thing worth mentioning is that I had some cold-related problems during this period,mostly sore throat. At first I thought my symptoms were cold related and I went to see the doctor and voiced my concerns. She said it was sinus infection and put me on antibiotics and post-nasal drip did disappear (could be coincidence) but it came back today. I have been taking antibiotics for  4 days now (2 more days to go) and this morning post-nasal drip resurfaced after 4 days of absence and 2 days since last having soy milk. Are these even symptoms of food allergy? If they are, would they last for so long after the exposure? The first time everything lasted for at least 7 days (there was no overlap though; 3 days of tight throat and then 4 days of post-nasal drip.Do you think this is infection of some sort and the fact that my symptoms are preceded by soy-milk consumption is only a coincidence? I know this is really long, but I would really appreciate help. Thanks in advance.
From what you have described, there are a few possible reasons for these reactions. The first is that the infection either temporarily or permanently has caused you to be allergic to something that you have not been allergic to in the past.  It could be any of the ingredients in the vanilla soy product.  The second possibility is that you have experienced a reaction that was triggered by the infection and not an allergic reaction at all.  Most allergic reactions do not last as long as you have described, but infections do.  Lastly, it is possible that for other reasons, not as apparent, you experienced an allergic reaction to one of the I gradients.  I would suggest that you speak with your physician.  Some easy tests can demonstrate if you are allergic or not.  I would not suggest trying any of these products on your own.