Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Digestive Issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Digestive Issues

They won't allow me to post the whole thing so heres the link, sorry about the length I just wanted to get my entire story out there. I appreciate your help over anyone and I promise this will be my last question for you.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Gastroenterology/Ongoing-Digestive-Problems--Help-Please/show/1714704
These are all things that you would have no way of knowing but that your doctors should be able to discover with further testing.  To put it another way, your condition should be diagnosable.  The first place to look should be your intestines, upper and lower, as suggested by the gastroenterologist.  You may have celiac disease (despite the previous negative tests), a condition that may occur at any age.  This is a disease diagnosis that is made by a biopsy of the small intestine.  You may want to get more information about this possibility from the GI specialist.  Whatever intestinal disease you have, it could be responsible for non-intestinal symptoms such as fatigue, dry skin etc but it might also be advisable to have your major hormone levels checked.  

Should you prove to have celiac disease, note the following:

“Celiac disease is an inflammatory condition of the small intestine precipitated by the ingestion of wheat, rye, and barley in individuals with certain genetic predispositions. High-risk groups for celiac disease include first-degree relatives and individuals with type 1 diabetes mellitus or autoimmune thyroid disease About 20% of patients diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome have celiac disease.”

I believe that you should agree to the upper endoscopy and the colonoscopy as this will be the most direct and reliable way for a diagnosis to be made and proper treatment instituted.

Good luck