Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Do Allergy Shots Cause Numbness?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Do Allergy Shots Cause Numbness?

I started allergy shots about 3 months ago. I would get the mold allergens in my left arm and the pollens in my right arm.
After a couple of shots I noticed around the injection site on the left arm was numb.
About 3 weeks into the treatment I had my allergy shots (& flu shot) and two days later my entire left arm went numb. A few days later, my right foot. It was decided I had peripheral neuropathy and started Physical Therapy. I was advised not to have allergy shots in the left arm. So, I started having both shots in the right arm. Left arm/right foot are doing better slowly. But, now after about 3 weeks (going once a week), the right arm & left foot have started going numb and around the injection site is almost totally numb (I could barely feel one of the shots last time).

So far, I have no clear reasons for the neuropathies and will travel to a nationally acclaimed medical facility for a diagnosis. But, just wondering if allergy shots can cause this?
A large variety of systemic reactions to “allergy shots” have been reported but I could find no reports of the distant (from the injection site) neurologic symptom you describe.  If your allergist is convinced that there is a cause and effective relationship, it would be prudent to either halt or reduce the dosage of the injected material until you and your doctor have further clarification of the problem from the “nationally acclaimed medical facility.”  However, I cannot make such a recommendation.  Only your allergist can.

If there will be a significant delay between now and your major center consultation, your doctor might want to call the specialist, you will be seeing, for advice concerning this question.

Good luck