Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Do I have exercise induced asthma or am I just out of shape?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

I am a 15 year old girl and I love plying sports and stuff. I used to love to run when I was younger, but then I started to not like it anymore. I had trouble breathing. It wasn't till year later I told my parents about it. I went to a walk in and they prescribed me a inhaler. I had to take it Be there in 15 mins before I exercised. It wasn't helping so we went to a specialist and they said I have symptoms but there was nothing there too show that I had asthma. I kinda just left it alone and now I am wondering am I just maybe out of shape. As I got older I got different symptoms. I don't wheeze but breath heavy and my chest tightens and hurts and I get mucus in my throat making be gag when I try and breeze. I am just wondering if maybe I am just really out of shape, but that seems weird cause I am not a lazy person I love to be active, but maybe someone could help me out
thanks
The best way to determine if your problem is, 1) being out of shape or, 2) asthma (despite what you were told by the specialist) is for you to do a medically supervised exercise test, preceded and then followed by physical examination of your lungs, pulmonary function testing and your pulse rate.  This need not be a complicated deal.  The important thing is the exercise and that could be on a treadmill or by walking up and down stairs in the doctor’s office.  The fact that you experience chest tightness and mucous in your throat suggests that you may well have asthma.

You need not be a “lazy person” to be out of shape.  Unless a person exercises regularly at a level that increases breathing and pulse, it is all too easy to self-exaggerate the amount of exercise you are getting.

Good luck.