Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Dry, Peeling, Itchy Lips

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Dry, Peeling, Itchy Lips

A few winter ago, blisters started to pop up on my upper lip / corner of my lips. Around the same time, dry skin patches started appearing on my upper arm. Tiny blisters on my thumb. I’ve been to dermatologists, specialists and herbalists to treat the conditions. I’ve gotten rid of the dry patches and the blisters on the arm and finger. *knock on wood*
During the same time, I developed a serious eye infection with turned out to be a DNA deficiency. Something about my immune system attacks my eye because it thinks it is infected when it is not.
Long story short, everything is pretty much under control except for my lips. It first started out in the winter, I thought it was a cold sore. However, whenever the weather changes, it would flare up. It is mostly on my upper lip and if it’s really bad, my lower lips would be chapped around the line also. The upper lip is itchy and red. Some days, it would crack open and bleed a little. It flakes and it swells. I can no longer see the liner of my lips.
I used to put a lot of Vaseline on it, it helped for a while. Recently, I’ve noticed that my lips would turn white with more blisters if I cover it with Vaseline. I’ve noticed when I come out of a hot steam shower, my lips feel better. And it seems like the inflammation is especially bad when it’s about time my period comes.
I’ve been reading up on it but I can’t tell if it’s eczema or angular cheilitis or something entirely different. Any insights?
Thanks!
I am sorry but I do not have the expertise to diagnose or recommend therapy for your lip condition.  I would favor seeking an opinion on this from the Dermatologist you consulted regarding the “dry-skin patches.”  

With regard to your mention of angular cheilitis, please note that people tend to lick and moisten their lips an attempt to prevent further cracking. This attempt at relief only aggravates the problem and may lead to other complications.

Good luck