Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Hives and food allergy in children

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Hives and food allergy in children

My DS (4.5), who has eaten PB frequently for the past year, broke out in hives on Monday. It started when we came in from outside playing with leaves. He had a few marks on his face that seemed to itch and I thought were bites. He napped and then at dinner (no nuts ), a rash spread across his face and his torso. I gave him Benadryl and they went away. The next day he ate lunch (PB&J), I noticed it again but they were on his face this time. More Benadryl. I took him to the Dr. who gave me an epipen and a referral to an allergist just in case it's related to peanuts all of the sudden.

Long story short...he's had them on/off for a few days. The last time he had PB was Tues. afternoon (1/2 sandwich). They go away and then come back in a different spot. The Dr. said it could be anything and related to his cold/cough last week and still had fluid in his ears.

I thought I read somewhere that food allergies are usually more acute, even though hives aren't considered chronic until after 6 wks. He seems to feel fine but still a little congested. The only other allergy he has (unconfirmed) is mango because he got red splotchiness by his mouth the only 2x he had it as a toddler. I've read there's a cross reactivity between mango and birch pollen (we had 3 birch trees planted in the yard last year).

I'm keeping him away from nuts until our appt but dread the dx of a peanut allergy, given how serious it is. Still, does this seem likely? I would think the PB is totally out of his system by now. I mean, last night before bed, he broke out again.  It goes away, sometimes with just one dose of Benadryl, and then shows up sometimes in a totally different spot.

Also, when I go to the allergist, if it is a nut allergy, can they tell me the likelihood of how serious an allergy it is? I'm petrified it'll be deadly. He always ate it without a problem. Just hoping it's a coincidence. Thanks.
The key action here is for your son to be seen by the allergist.  Then the determination needs to be made of whether he does or does not have true peanut allergy.  There can be a cross reactivity between birch pollen and many foods, including mango, apple, carrot, cherry, pear, peach, plum, fennel, walnut, potato, spinach, wheat, buckwheat, peanut, honey, celery, kiwi fruit, hazelnut, anise, fennel, coriander, cumin.  Studies have shown that this cross-reactivity does not lessen when the foods are cooked rather than eaten raw.

Another source of information that you may want to pursue is the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network at http://www.foodallergy.org or (800) 929-4040.  They have high quality and reliable information regarding food allergy.