Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Hives on 6 year old, worried

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Hives on 6 year old, worried

My 6 year old daughter has had hives for 3 weeks. They started out really bad, head to toe and then slowly with the help of Zrytec got better but only when taking that. She seems fine otherwise- she did complain of feeling "blah" as she said and then saying her stomach hurt a couple times. She can only go about 1 day or less and the hives come back without meds. I took her to the ER because the itching was so severe one night and she's missed 1 week of school. They gave me a steroid. My question is, when should I be worried? I made an appt with an allergist however looking online I see internal diseases can start hives (ie. lupus, cancer). She had CPCs (plexus cysts in the brain that they monitor for a few weeks) and benign external hydrocephalus as a baby which all worked out fine but I get nervous. Any ideas?
It is estimated that greater than 50% of people have hives sometime in their lives.  You are right – hives can be a sign of serious disease but hives are a very common condition and, in the vast majority of cases, more a nuisance than a serious problem.

In many instances, the immediate cause is not found but in many instances, food allergy and other allergies are determined to be the cause.  With this in mind, it behooves you to systematically document every, possible, allergic substance that your daughter has recently been in contact with including food, pollens, dander, insect stings and bites etc.  If there proves to be a specific cause, this record will greatly increase the likelihood that you and the allergist will be able to find it.

Good luck.