Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Hives
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hives

Been getting hives since Sept 2012 that's when my tongue was swollen after waking up. Was told that it was my BP med Lisinopril..don't take it anymore. Still getting hives on my hands,back of head,lips,chin,roof of mouth,shoulders and waist!!! Every joint in my body hurts. I can't cross my legs and stretch them out with out pain. I'm so scared my throat will swell while sleeping. I haven't changed any detergent,no new meds I'm just miserable.  Today I will no longer take any of my meds bc they all have warnings if hives occur on face STOP TAKiNG......someone please help me. I live on Benadryl  
242587_tn?1355427710
Following my comments is some information regarding the causes of Urticaria (Hives), taken from Goldman’s Cecil Textbook of Medicine.  As you can see, there are numerous causes and, in addition, in many instances the cause is never found.  I am concerned by your statement that, “Every joint in my body hurts.”  This additional factor suggests that the urticaria might not be a primary occurrence but rather a manifestation of a group of diseases categorized as multi-system diseases, for example one called Serum Sickness..

Given this, I suggest that you and your doctor consider requesting a second opinion from a Rheumatologist, a group of consultants that specialize in diseases that present with aching and or swollen joints.

Good luck

TABLE 448-1   -- Common Causes of Urticaria
URTICARIA MAY BE ACCOMPANIED BY ANGIOEDEMA AND ANAPHYLAXIS
   Blood products: red cells, platelets, gamma globulin
   Drugs
   Antibiotics: penicillins, cephalosporins, sulfonamides, isoniazid
   Aspirin: salicylates, benzoates, phenylbutazone
   Anticonvulsants: hydantoin
   Chemotherapy: doxorubicin, daunorubicin, L-asparaginase, chlorambucil, cyclophosphamide, melphalan, methotrexate, nitrogen mustard, procarbazine
   Dextran
   Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
   Opiates
   Quinidine
   Radiocontrast dyes, iodine

Environmental: animal dander or proteins, formaldehyde, pollen, mold, plants, latex, plastic tubing, exercise, heat, cold, sunlight
   Foods: berries, eggs, milk, nuts, tomatoes, shellfish, soy
   Food additives: sodium benzoate, tartrazine (yellow dye #5)
   Hormones
   Infections: streptococcal, staphylococcal, sinusitis or abscesses, viral hepatitis, Epstein-Barr virus mononucleosis, Candida species
   Insect bites or venom: Hymenoptera, mosquitoes, mites, scabies
   Mechanical stimuli (dermographism, vibratory angioedema, delayed-pressure urticaria)
   Vaccines

URTICARIA-LIKE ERUPTIONS AND REACTIVE ERYTHEMAS
   Erythema multiforme: herpes simplex, DNA viruses, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, drugs
   Erythema marginatum: streptococcal rheumatic fever
   Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
   Erythema chronicum migrans: Borrelia species infections
   Erythema annulare centrifugum: tinea, drugs
   Figurate erythemas: erythema repens (often with underlying carcinoma)
   Urticaria pigmentosa (mastocytosis)

Urticaria is common worldwide in persons of all ages, although certain types of urticaria have a predilection for certain age groups. For example, acute urticaria is often seen in children with atopic dermatitis, whereas chronic urticaria peaks in the fourth decade.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank