Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Hives

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Hives

I am an african-american woman. A large bright red hive patch has suddenly (yesterday) appeared in my chest. It is very itchy and I am worried about what it can be. I have recently (2 weeks ago) began taking Chantix to assist me in stopping smoking. In August, I broke out, in what the doctors called "pityriasis rosea." This was a very traumatic time for me because I almost looked like a monster. This event lasted a good two months. I was never able to identify the "herald patch." Ninety percent of the rash is gone, I am left with the dark spots which the dermatologist said would all eventually go away. What do you think this latest thing is?
You should quickly report this to the doctor who prescribed it and request his/her advice.   While infrequent, hives (urticaria) has been reported as an adverse side effect of Chantix, and that is a likely cause.  Allergic skin rashes other than hives have also been reported with Chantix.

Pityriasis can be dreadful.  Glad to hear it is resolving.  I suspect the new lesion is unrelated to the Pityriasis.

Good luck with your attempt to stop smoking.  As the American Lung Association likes to say: " It is a death-defying act."