Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
IVIG reaction tremors
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

IVIG reaction tremors

I had my eigth IVIG to resolve a Ig deficiency discovered during treatment for several lung infections MACS and pseudonomus (for which I had a pic installed and gave myself IVs at home). The last five treatments have been with Careimune.  I took 5mg Xyzal before the first 5 IVs. I no longer took it after that, and had no ill effects until today. Two hours into the IV I yawned and shivered, and shivered, and it continually increased in intensity until my entire body was involuntarily shaking.

I had some breathing difficulty,had to stand up (the nurses did not like that. They were afraid I'd fall).  50 mg of Benadryl, and cortisone were injected through the IV, which had been separated from the Carimune.  I was given Demoral for the pain that came from the muscle contractions.  Improvement was relatively swift. I spent the next two hours in the ER under observation.  Blood work showed no concerns. I was release after a couple of hours.  I have had allergic reactions (quite severe to peanuts).  This was like nothing that I have had before. I now remember it was called a "reaction" not an "allergic reaction."  I assumed it was allergic because of the use of Benadryl.

The nurses said that "it has happened before."  The emergency room doctor suggested I take the Xyzal always before future treatments.  I wil be discussing all of this with my immunologist, but would like any comments possible now.  Is this reaction likely to happen again? I Xyzal a good prophylactic? This was not a pleasant experience!