Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Infant and child health when parent uses jogging stoller

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

I know jogging/running is healthy for an adult. Thinking of purchasing a safe jogging stroller. My concern is that most my run is on sidewalks and that fumes of passing vehicles are unhealthy for the baby. Exhaust pipes seem to be more at the height of where the baby sits. I'm concern for the health of the baby's lungs short and long term. Is there any medical information available on this issue and what are your thoughts
Yours is a reasonable concern and the observation about the height of exhaust pipes a good one.  In the absence of extraordinary air pollution, it is highly unlikely that your baby would suffer any permanent lung damage.  However, if you baby should have any pre-existing lung disease such as asthma (or a strong family history of asthma), cystic fibrosis or even a predisposition to repeated lung infections (for whatever reason) there is a high likelihood that the underlying lung disease would/could be aggravated by the exposure you describe.

My advice would be for you to either run at a time of day when traffic is predictably low volume or on sidewalks of streets that would be described as having low volume traffic at all times.  The other thing to consider is that, especially with heavy, high-speed traffic a distracted driver could easily hop the curb or at intersections, where the risk of accidents is high and the trajectory of involved cars quite unpredictable.

Good luck