Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Infection somewhere (Nasal/duct?)

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Infection somewhere (Nasal/duct?)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT KIND OF DR TO GO TO!!! I have an awful smell in only one side of my nose, my left. I have been to several ENT's. Had two sinus endo surgeries, had ct scans, been on millions of antibiotics and etc. I smell it strongly when my neck or head has a sudden movement. My first sinus surgery, my scans showed an extremely bad infection. The whole left side of my nasal cavity (etc) was full of infection. However, after my surgery, I continued to have the smell. More ent visits, but this time, no infection was seen (they even stuck cameras up my nose). I have a thick phlegm problem in the upper part of my throat too. I have always had trouble running because of this phlegm making it hard to breathe. I finally went to the doctor about that too and they told me I have asthma also. I frequently will get ear infections and infection in my lungs (i don't know if it's from the drip). Last time I went to the Dr. for the ear infection I was given a pill you take like 7 days and go lower and lower every day. As far is my sinus, I have tried probably EVERY antibiotic. It's probably not healthy.  I also had tonsilitis and strep (also those nasty white things in my throat) so I had a tonsillectomy. I honestly deeply feel there is a bigger more serious issue causing all of this. It's like from my chest up is a constant nasty infection, but why? and where does it start? And is it a disease or something?  I had 8 surgeries last year. I'm tired of dr to dr. if it helps any I am also blind in my left eye, i was born that way from a virus infection I recieved at birth. Thank you so much for taking the time to read.
I can sympathize with your experience.  You must feel miserable much of the time.

The information you have provided regarding the course of your disease, the therapy and the response to therapy suggests to me that you: 1) may still have an anatomic abnormality that interferes with sinus drainage and allows for recurrent or even never-quite-completely resolved infection or 2) you have an immunodeficiency state that seriously interferes with your body’s ability to prevent and fight infection.  I have copied an Abstract of an article in the Medical literature that documents a surprisingly high incidence of immunodeficiency (not AIDS) in persons who suffer from chronic recurrent nasal/sinus/

You will note that this report was written by Specialists at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.  You should discuss this article with your physicians & ask whether there might be benefit in your physically seeking consultation with these physicians in Iowa City, preceded perhaps by a telephone conversation between your sinus doctor and one of the Iowa doctors.  Such consultation could be very useful and give you a chance to re-start living a normal, infection-free life.

Please let us know if the above suggestions lead to significant improvement in your health.

Good luck

Authors Full NameAlqudah, Mohannad. Graham, Scott M. Ballas, Zuhair K.

InstitutionDepartment of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242-1081, USA.

TitleHigh prevalence of humoral immunodeficiency patients with refractory chronic rhinosinusitis.

SourceAmerican Journal of Rhinology & Allergy. 24(6):409-12, 2010 Nov-Dec.  

Abstract  BACKGROUND: The purpose of this study was to investigate the prevalence and contribution of humoral immunodeficiency in refractory chronic rhinosinusitis (RCRS). This study was performed at a tertiary care academic referral center.

METHODS: RCRS patients who had at least three episodes of documented sinusitis in the previous year despite antibiotic therapy, who had endoscopic sinus surgery performed at University of Iowa Health Care (UIHC), and who were evaluated by the UIHC Adult Immune Disorder Clinic were included. Exclusion criteria included allergic fungal sinusitis, human immunodeficiency virus, and other causes of secondary immunodeficiency. Sixty-seven patients fulfilled the inclusion and exclusion criteria. The results of their immunologic evaluation for atopy and humoral immune function were examined.

RESULTS: The average age of these patients was 50 years (+/-11.6 years). Twenty-eight (42%) patients had at least one positive result on allergy skin testing. Determination of quantitative immunoglobulins showed low IgG in 9%, low IgA in 3%, and low IgM in 12% of patients. Common variable immunodeficiency was diagnosed in one case. Immunoglobulin G subclasses were tested in 31 cases and found low in 6 patients. Fifty-one patients underwent a dynamic assessment of their antibody response by examining the increase in antibody titer to an unconjugated pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine. Sixty-seven percent of patients failed to produce more than a fourfold increase in postimmunization antibody titer for >7 of 14 serotypes being tested and were considered to have functional antibody deficiency.

CONCLUSION: This retrospective review shows an unexpectedly high prevalence of humoral immune dysfunction in patients with RCRS. These findings suggest that assessment of immune function should be undertaken routinely in RCRS. Immune assessment should first include measurement of serum immunoglobulin levels; if these are normal, then functional antibody responses should be evaluated.
Publication TypeJournal Article.
Date Created20101214
Year of Publication2010