Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Metal spray

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Metal spray

I work for a large construction corporation and in this company i work as a metal sprayer.I knew when i took this job there were going to be some health risks but nothing like this.On a daily i spray several pounds of nickel, aluminum, and iron compounds.Now i have been doing this for a year and a half now and i have produced several problems like weezing coughing and violent sneezing.I also get nose bleeds from time to time and i figured its from working here so please give me some feeback.
It sounds like you have had a heavy exposure to nickel, aluminum and iron.  The first two, nickel and aluminum have definitely been implicated in the development and worsening of asthma and bronchitis.  What you describe strongly suggests that you have developed significant respiratory problems, while in contact with these materials.  And asthmatics have been found to have higher blood iron levels than comparable groups that do not have asthma.  The following information is from medical reports of the danger of these substances.

Nickel sulphate frequently causes allergic contact dermatitis; less known effects are nasal inflammation (rhinitis) and bronchial asthma

Complex clinical examination of aluminium production workers having broncho-pulmonary diseases revealed immunologic criteria of toxic dust bronchitis, diffuse pneumosclerosis and secondary infection-dependent bronchial asthma, caused by combination of occupational hazards.

It appears that your work exposures are seriously affecting your health, especially the health of your respiratory system.

You should speak to your employer regarding transfer to a different job within your company if that might be feasible, cease to engage in this type of work or immediately request a respirator to protect you and your lungs.

You might also wish to contact OSHA, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration for further information and assistance.

This is a serious health problem and the one thing you should not do is continue at your present job without respiratory protection.

Hope this helps.

Good luck