Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Mold Allergy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Mold Allergy?

For the past 5 months I've suffered from chest pains, tachycardia and difficulty breathing. I also have had a dry cough and post nasal drip. The chest pains are mainly on the lest side below the breast and they are sharp pains that shoot through my underarm and shoulder.They do occur on the right side occasionally. I've been to 5 different doctors and I have appointments on a near weekly basis. I've had 6 EKGs, a CT scan of the head, echocardiogram, thyroid test, lyme disease test, blood tests and a chest xray. All came back normal. I was given an albuterol inhaler to help with the breathing but I'm hesitant to use it since my heart rate has been so high (105 beats per minute). I was told by my doctor to see a cardiologist but she won't give me a referral since I am uninsured and in a very low income bracket. She said when I am insured I can get the referral. She said the cardiologist will do a pulmonary function test and some cardiac tests. We just discovered mold in the home we are renting but the landlord won't do anything about it. Can mold cause symptoms like this? Is mold overlooked by doctors? My husband has also been having trouble breathing and post nasal drip and my daughter has been getting fevers and always wakes up with a stuffy nose. Could my chest pains be an asthma-like reaction to mold? Thank you so much in advance! This has been a nightmare for our family and the doctors are stumped.
The symptoms of chest pain, tachycardia and difficulty breathing are consistent with heart and/or lung disease and, yes, mold exposure can cause lung disease.  Sounds as if your whole family is responding to heavy exposure to an allergen (including mold) or irritant.  The normal ECHO, chest X-ray and EKG’s and (presumably) a normal cardiac physical exam, save for mild (105 is mild but significantly elevated at rest) tachycardia, all suggest that your problem is probably not cardiac; that the tachycardia is likely to be secondary to a non-heart disease or medication.  I agree that your seeking consultation with a cardiac or pulmonary specialist would be most appropriate at this time.  Should you see a pulmonologist, be sure to describe your home environment and ask if evaluation of your home by an Industrial Hygienist might be of value.

Good luck