Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Nasal congestion?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Nasal congestion?

I'm 21 and for about two years i've been having really bad nasal congestion. One nostril would be completely blocked while the other was clear. It switches back and forth from each nostril. Since the congestion started other symptoms have come along. Light headedness, dizzy, dry eyes and mouth, wheezing, thick mucus, tightness in my throat, sensitive to light, foggy vision, floaters in my vision, tiredness and weakness in my arms and legs. I don't know whether it's related or not but I've also gotten digestion problems I went to a gastro and got an endoscopy done and found out I have a hiatial hernia in my stomach. I've been taking prevacid and it seems like the acid indegestion won't go away. It's really frustrating and affecting my mental health. Feel anxious, depressed, paranoid, hard to focus and concentrate. I feel really dizzy and lightheaded if I don't eat then when I eat it goes away but I still feel tired and weak. I really think this is all stemming from whatever problem it is with my nasal congestion. I had a CT scan and the ENT I went to said my sinuses are clear and I have a partial deviated septum. I'm on allegra D for allergies, got a HEPA air filter in my room but it's not going away. Would you reccomend any type of surgery to clear my nasal passages?  
It sounds like you are very worried about your general health, both physical and emotional, and especially worried about the nasal congestion.  While the nasal congestion could account for some of your symptoms it is unlikely that some of the symptoms you describe, especially the weakness of your arms and legs, are related to the congestion.  Your comments also suggest that you would feel a lot better, if just the congestion could be controlled.  Before considering surgery to clear your nasal passages, you should ask the ENT if a nasal steroid spray might open your nasal passages.  If a trial of that doesn't help, you should ask him/her if the deviated nasal septum is causing enough blockage that straightening it would give you a lot of relief.

The relationship of dizziness and lightheadedness to eating suggests that you might be having bouts of hypoglycemia.  This can sometimes be the first sign of diabetes.  These symptoms can also be associated with blood pressure abnormalities.

You should see an internal medicine doctor for comprehensive blood testing and a good physical exam, to rule-out diabetes and other diseases.  One disease in particular could account for many of your symptoms and the name of that disease is, Sjogren's syndrome.  Be sure to ask your doctor if that could be what is going on.

Finally, some of the symptoms could be due to anxiety about your health and all you have had to put up with.  It will be important to sort out what symptoms are due to anxiety and what symptoms may be causing the anxiety.

Good luck.