Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Prednisone
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Prednisone

Two nights ago I went to the ER because I developed hives on my neck and upper back. This is the third time this has happened but this time I panicked. I was given a high dose of prednisone and benedryl in an iv. The ER Dr sent me home with a script for prednisone for 20 mg tabs to be taken 3 times a day for five days. Yesterday I did not pick up my script until late and then did not take the pills. I did not take the pills tonight and do not plan to do so because of how terrible I have felt as what I believe to be side effects of the prednisone that I received in my iv. What I would like to know is, Is it safe as far as my adrenal glands are concerned, to not take any more prednisone? The hives have not returned and I will be calling my Dr about that tomorrow to see an allergist. I am only concerned because I have read some horrible things online about people having issues with coming off of prednisone.
242587_tn?1355427710
I assume that the three episodes of hives have been separated by some weeks or more.  Given that assumption, the amount of steroid you report having taken/been given is not of an amount that would ordinarily cause suppression of function of the adrenal glands.  However should you experience any unusual symptoms such as weakness, light-headedness, confusion or fever, that would be reason to suspect suppression of your adrenal glands and an urgent need to seek medical attention.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank