Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Prednisone

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Prednisone
Two nights ago I went to the ER because I developed hives on my neck and upper back. This is the third time this has happened but this time I panicked. I was given a high dose of prednisone and benedryl in an iv. The ER Dr sent me home with a script for prednisone for 20 mg tabs to be taken 3 times a day for five days. Yesterday I did not pick up my script until late and then did not take the pills. I did not take the pills tonight and do not plan to do so because of how terrible I have felt as what I believe to be side effects of the prednisone that I received in my iv. What I would like to know is, Is it safe as far as my adrenal glands are concerned, to not take any more prednisone? The hives have not returned and I will be calling my Dr about that tomorrow to see an allergist. I am only concerned because I have read some horrible things online about people having issues with coming off of prednisone.
I assume that the three episodes of hives have been separated by some weeks or more.  Given that assumption, the amount of steroid you report having taken/been given is not of an amount that would ordinarily cause suppression of function of the adrenal glands.  However should you experience any unusual symptoms such as weakness, light-headedness, confusion or fever, that would be reason to suspect suppression of your adrenal glands and an urgent need to seek medical attention.

Good luck