Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Random Red Bumps
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Random Red Bumps

Not sure if it's caused by an allergy, but over the past few weeks I have been experiencing large red itchy bumps on random parts of my body over the course of the last couple of weeks. I have had three so far, one on my arm, one on my upper back thigh, and now one on my wrist. I have checked for spiders around the house to see if maybe I had been getting bit, but there's nothing. They resemble a mosquito bite at first, but then they grow into large hard itchy bumps.  
242587_tn?1355427710
What you describe could be an allergic reaction to some recently introduced substance that now comes into contact with your body.  More likely, however, is that you are being bitten by Bed Bugs.   See the following from the Cleveland Clinic.
Cleveland Clinic: Current Clinical Medicine, 2nd ed.
Copyright © 2010 Saunders, An Imprint of Elsevier
<>
BEDBUGS
Definition and Etiology
Bedbugs are blood-sucking insects of the order Cimicidae. The most common species is Cimex lenticularis.
Pathophysiology and Natural History
Bedbugs typically feed on sleeping persons, attracted by their body temperature and carbon dioxide production. They tend to live under carpets or floorboards and along the seams of mattresses. They feed infrequently but can live for 1 year. Bedbug resurgence has occurred within the last decade.

Signs, Symptoms, and Diagnosis
Bedbug bites vary from itchy erythematous macules to itchy indurated papules, wheals, vesicles, or bullae, usually on exposed areas of the face, neck, and extremities. They tend to resolve within 2 weeks (Fig. 4). Bites often occur in groups of three, known as the “breakfast, lunch, dinner” pattern. Bedbugs do not transmit diseases.

Figure 4  Bedbug bites. Nondescript grouped urticarial papules.

Treatment
Treatment of patients with bedbug bites is symptomatic, usually nothing more than topical coritocosteroids. Pesticides with dichlorvos, malathion, and pyrethrins are effective in eliminating bedbugs. Prevention of infestation can be achieved with repellents or permethrin-impregnated bed nets.

Summary

•     Cimex lenticularis is the most common bedbug.
   •     An itchy nighttime dermatitis, especially grouped papules,  should suggest bedbug bites.
   •     Treatment is symptomatic, such as topical corticosteroids.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker