Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Red sores around the mouth monthly

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Red sores around the mouth monthly

Hi, I have a cousin who we just have recently found out that has been battered by his abusive stepmom and we decided to take him in the problem is that he had a fever and then we gave him paracetamol and then he suddenly had rashes all around his body and then the skin around his mouth becomes red and swollen monthly. We had already brought him to the doctor already but there was no specific answer from him. I just want to ask if you know what is the name of his situation and the possible treatment for his situation and also what can we give him for his fever
The drug you gave him is the equivalent of Tylenol.  The rash could be from an allergy to the drug but that is very uncommon and would be very unlikely with this drug.  It is more likely that he had an infectious disease that has caused both rash and fever.  I can’t tell from your description but I gather that the total body rash is gone but he continues to have red swollen skin around his mouth on a monthly basis.  I suggest that you report that to his doctor.  That is probably just a local skin reaction.

More important is that you report that he is being battered by his abusive stepmom.  This is extremely serious as such maltreatment can result in permanent injury or death.  You can report it to a doctor, nurse, a welfare agency or the police.  You may not have a legal obligation to report what you know but you definitely have a moral responsibility to protect a child.

Professionals engaged “in the practice of the healing arts,” such as doctors and nurses, are mandatory reporters. That means that if a doctor knows or has reason to believe that a child is being abused, the doctor must immediately report the information to the local welfare agency or police department. Or you can call a Help Line.  See the following:  Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453).  Reporting can be anonymous.

Please visit the following website:  http://www.childwelfare.gov/responding/how.cfm

Good luck