Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Shortness of breath when rasing arms or yelling....??

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Hello there, I have a question about shortness of breath. I am 22 yrs old and I have been realizing lately every time I put my arms up for more than a minute, I get dizzy and start to feel as though I am out of breath. This is also something that happens when I am angery or mad and I yell out loud. Why is this? I have no medical history. Please reply. I want to get some insight from someone who might know a thing or two about whats probably going on with my body.
That this happens both with arms up and expressing your anger suggests that you may, unconsciously, be committing what is called a Valsalva maneuver, which raises the pressure in your chest and reduces blood flow from your heart.  You should try to reproduce these 2 circumstances in your doctor's examining room.  This is probably just a normal, but somewhat exaggerated, response to both these situations.
have you had your blood pressure checked lately?