Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Sinusitis Post nasal drip

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Sinusitis Post nasal drip
I am not able to sleep anymore even sitting up seems that post nasal drip is keeping me from getting a good night
sleep. Constantly, coughing does anyone out there have a solution to stop pnd which puts me in a coughing frenzy, then I wake up and can't get back to sleep. Please any advice will help. I am propping myself up with 4 pillows and cushion this gives me a 45 degree angle but after 2-3 hours coughing comes back resulting in REM sleep not successful.

Bnsick2long
You must be exhausted.  You need treatment for the postnasal drip.  Routine use of a nasal steroid spray can be very effective in the treatment of postnasal drip.  It decreases inflammation in the nose and sinuses along with mucus production.  When a nasal steroid spray is used regularly it can prevent postnasal drip.  However it does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may need to be used every day for several weeks to months to notice improvement in the symptoms.  To get the most help from any nasal spray first do a nasal wash to remove mucus from the nose and sinuses.  To learn more about this technique please read our nasal wash treatment information by copying and pasting this address

http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/treatments/alt-ther/nasal-wash.aspx

into the address window of your internet browser.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.  You also need to know if you have a chronic bacterial infection of nose and/or sinuses or an allergic fungal sinusitis that would call for different treatment.

This is a treatable condition and while you are proceeding with the above, with your doctor, don't forget that gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) commonly known as acid reflux can also be a cause of exactly what you are experiencing.  GERD can also be associated with hoarseness.

Good luck.