Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Sinusitis and dry nasal condition

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Sinusitis and dry nasal condition

Hello, I have struggled for the last several years with very dry nasal passages. I use the nasal rinse daily but nothing really helps much...
A few days ago, I developed a terrible toothache and went to dentist, he xrayed and examined and found nothing wrong. He asked about my sinuses but I wasn't aware of any problem. Then 2 days later I developed terrible pain in my face as well as ALL of my teeth and my jawbone on that side, along with a stuffy nose and just a slight amount of yellow discharge from nose. Went to family doc and he thought it might be sinus infection and gave me bactrim but did not do any tests or anything. This 2 days ago. I am in terrible pain, it feels like the nerves to my teeth are exposed. I am taking vicodin or I would have gone out of my mind by now, but this dries my nose out more. I tried a sinus rinse with saline solution as doc recommended and it burned like the devil for hours and my nose swelled shut. My nose is very, very dry and swollen, hard to breathe through. I have no postnasal drip. I definitely feel sick: tired, achy, nausea, headache, sore eyes. I had a very slight cold about 4-5 weeks ago and never felt like I got "better" though the discharge and sneezing stopped, I still felt the achy tired flu feeling. I have had sinus infections before but never painful like this. It is so painful it is frightening. Does this sound like a sinus infection? Should I be doing anything else? How long should I give the antibiotics to make the pain go away?
Your description suggests that your dentist pretty much excluded your teeth and surrounding structures as the cause of your “terrible toothache”.  You might want to ask him/her if the examination, including x-rays excluded the diagnoses of vital and/or inflamed pulp, pulp necrosis and peri-apical periodontitis.  If the dentist holds to the belief that your teeth and mouth are not the source, you might want to consider getting a second opinion from a different dentist or an oral surgeon.  If his assurance is valid, that implies that your “toothache” is a referred pain, meaning that it is coming from another anatomic structure, most likely from adjacent tissue such as from the sinuses, the jaw, the parotid gland or structures such as cysts within what is called the cerebello-pontine angle, in which case, consultation with a specialist familiar with other head and neck diseases could be advantageous.

Good luck.