Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Skin Itchiness and elevated IgE levels

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Skin Itchiness and elevated IgE levels

1. I've had allergic reactions to inhalation of dust/smoke/other particulate matter for many years but I don't have asthmatic conditions.
2. 2 months ago, I consulted a general practitioner and he put me on a course of Montelukast Sodium tablet and LeZyncet-D (http://www.drugsupdate.com/brand/generic/Cetirizine%20Hydrochloride/21238) but since I felt no change after 3 weeks, I decided to see what dropping it for a week would do.
3. A month ago, I had a particularly bad attack from inhaling some smoke and due to my final exams coming up I panicked and ate about 15 nos. of Vit C supplement chewable tablets (these: http://www.mims.com/India/drug/info/LIMCEE/LIMCEE%20chewable%20tab ) in one day and then some the next along with one tablet of Allegra (fexofenadine hydrochloride) 120 mg and the Montelukast Sodium tablet (1 quantity) and sure enough this time it took like a day and a half for me to be back to normalish.
3. 1 week after this incident, I experienced very annoying and persistent itchiness, all in the frontal main torso and pelvic region (but without any signs of reddishness, no rashes and no acute OR chronic urticarea) but again due to me needing to concentrate on studying for my finals, I took Allegra120mg for a couple days and decided to take a blood test + stool test. My blood report came back normal as did my stool test except my IgE levels were shown elevated to 1832 IU/ml which I believe is way in excess.

Now, I have said itch problem everyday and it persists till I take the Allegra120mg but additionally, when I DO take the med, for like half an hour, the itch shifts from my torso and pelvis to my palms for half an hour before subsiding. The general practitioner I'd consulted earlier told me that this elevation of IgE has nothing to do with allergy because my Eosinophils count is1% which is within normal. I'd like some second opinions please, thank you very much!
Ordinarily elevated levels of serum IgE are accompanied by elevated numbers of blood eosinophiles, but not always and the eosinophile response may vary widely.  The serum IgE level is definitely elevated in your case and the cause of that and, presumably, the cause of your itchiness, determined by further testing.  Should your doctor opt to not conduct such an investigation, you should consider consultation with a Board Certified Allergist to determine the root cause and be provided with optimum therapy.  The elevation of IgE should not be dismissed.

Good luck
Thank you very much, sir.