Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Strep Infection, reactive Arthritis now food allergies!

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

I had an undiagnosed strep infection back in 2007, since then my fingers began swelling and swell about 3-4 times a month now. I also get stiffness in the toes and hands. I recently went to the allergy doctor due to STILL not feeling good and through RAST testing and Skin tests found out I am very allergic to wheat, rye and barley in addition to milk. These were the worst foods for me, I also reacted to pretty much every thing in the panel except for potatos and chicken. Do you think all of these issues could have been caused from the strep infection? I have felt sick for 2 years now since Nov 2006 and this is all I know so far. Could my imune system be freaking out? Im only 28 years old and feel 80! I also get very light headed and fatugued and dont pass a lot of urine, no ever feel thirsty.

Thanks for any info!
You indicate that the strep infection was undiagnosed and we assume not treated.  Untreated strep infection can cause rheumatic fever (RF) and one of the bad side effects of rheumatic fever is chronic heart disease.  You will want to be checked for that.  Acute RF is accompanied by arthritis of many joints but this usually subsides and does not become chronic.  Thus the arthritis may be a sign of another chronic disease, and unrelated to the strep infection.

We can say, with reasonable certainty, that allergy is not the cause of all this and say also that what you are experiencing is not due to your allergies.  You need to see one of two specialists: 1) an Internist or, 2) a rheumatologist.

Finally, what you describe could be an autoimmune disease or related to your immune system in some other fashion.

Good luck.