Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Systemic reaction after allergy shots...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Systemic reaction after allergy shots...

Hi,  I just started my allergy shots last week.  I reacted pretty intensely  to every weed, grass, tree pollen they tested me for.  I have resorted to the shots because the meds don't work on me.  The only thing that works is a Kenalog shot, but I had bad side effects from it.

Anyway, I get four shots each time, and they are starting me off very low (I think .05?).  The first time I got my shots, within minutes my sinuses swelled up, and the post nasal drip started.  I also felt a bit nauseous.  This came on within a few minutes of the shots, and lasted for about an hour.  I did take an antihistamine in the office.  

This week I got my second set of shots.  I told the nurse about the last time, and she told me to take an antihistamine.  Well, again within minutes, sinus swelled up, but I also felt weird... kind of an anxiety feeling with heart palpitations.  I also felt a bit lightheaded.  This went on for about 25 minutes.  I went back and told the nurse, and she asked me about throat tightening or wheezing.  I didn't have any of that.  She took my BP which was normal.  She felt I was just anxious about the shots.  

Needless to say, I am forming an anxiety about these shots now!  Is the reaction I had typical?  Does it mean that I can't take these shots? The strange thing is that I get no redness or hive at the injection site, only the systemic symptoms. My allergist is out of town for a few weeks, so I wanted some input before my next injections next week.   The only other health issue I have is that I just started two weeks ago taking Synthroid for hypothyroidism (was losing my hair and exhausted).

I would very much appreciate input, and thank you for this service!