Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Throat Closing

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Throat Closing

For the past few weeks, my throat feels like it's closing (on and off throughout the day).  It's gotten really bad the last few days and I have the sensation 24/7.  It's worse when I lay down, but still feel it when I'm up.  It's so distracting, it's hard to get through my day.  I have an apt. with my ENT next week.  I had a mild case of GERD a few years ago and was on Nexium for one year - then the dr. took me off after endoscopy and other tests showed no signs of damage.  I don't have any other symptoms (no heartburn etc).  I haven't slept in a few days as I'm so worried I'm going to stop breathing and it's SO uncomfortable!  I have two small kids, so a trip to the ER would be a nightmare, and I can breathe, I just have the throat closing sensation.
If, when your throat feels like it is closing, you experience any difficulty breathing in or out or both, you should see a doctor for direct examination without delay, especially if the breathing difficulty has, even rarely, been associated with choking when you try to swallow liquid or solid food.

The combination of this sensation being "SO uncomfortable", suggests infection of one or more structures in your throat.

Good luck.