Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
True Morphine Allergy

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

True Morphine Allergy

My son had a 'true' allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to morphine last week, he is only 14 months old, he then (from the anaphylaxis) had a partial collapsed lung and went hypoxic and had an asthma attack. A bad one.
My question is, we can't get into see a Clinical Immunologist and Allergy Specialist til March 2013, for those of you who have a true allergy to Morphine, are you allergic to any other medications outside the morphine family? And are you allergic to any insects/ foods. I am going to avoid Poppy Seeds with my son for obvious reasons.
I just want to be aware of what else to be cautious of until we see the specialist who will conduct the testing next year.
I nearly lost my son twice in the space of a few hours. They game him adrenalin, steroids, an antihistamine and another drug to save his life from the anaphylaxis, it was the most horrible terrifying event
What a ghastly experience for you and your son.  There exists allergic cross reactivity between a number of opiates and I suspect that his doctors will stringently avoid any of the drugs known to cross react with morphine.  Yours is a question that can only be answered authoritatively by a healthcare provider with pharmacologic expertise.  My advice is that you implore your son’s pediatrician to serve as your advocate and ask that he/she consult with an expert on the question of avoidance of foods, herbs, drugs and any other substances that could conceivably cause a reaction, so that avoidance of all of these might begin immediately.  In addition, his physician should be asked to intervene to submit a grievance with your healthcare organization on the basis that a four month wait for consultation on a life threatening condition is simply unacceptable.

What I have suggested is reasonable and should be accepted as such by all persons involved with your son’s care.  You and his doctor owe it to your son to do everything in your power to speed up this process.

Good luck