Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Walnut powder allergy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Walnut powder allergy

My three year old nephew has never shown signs of walnut allergies until recently.  He was helping cook a cake when he used his hands to put chopped (pre-packaged) walnuts into the cake batter. Since they were chopped there was a lot of walnut powder in the package, as well.

In a matter of minutes he was covered in a lacey rash on his hands, forearms and face.  He did not exhibit breathing problems. He was given a bath within minutes and his body cleared up.  Is it possible that he is allergic to the powder of the walnut?  Could he be allergic to the powder and not the nut?  Is it normal to show allergic reactions after having been expos.ed in the past without problems?  He was recently treated for Fifth's Disease and thought this may have had something to do with the reaction, as well?  Should I be concerned with giving walnuts as a food item?  Lots of questions. I look forward to hearing from you.

T. Levine
tarri.***@****