Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
What causes a person to start snoring?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

What causes a person to start snoring?

I have never been a person that snores, and for the past month I have been "BLESSED" with this irritation, not only to me but to my boyfriend and my dad. I recently moved and there was alot of dust that was disturbed during the move, I went to a pharmacist and she gave me nasal spray for my sinus, and i have never had any problems with my sinus. This spray was of course unhelpful. I was told by my boyfriend that some nights the snoring wouldn't be so bad and other nights it is very bad and loud, and I snore no matter if I sleep on my sides or on my stomach. My dad told me I should try putting VICKS which is a med for colds and flu in the basin of hot water and place my head under a towel over the basin and breath in the steam, I have not tried this as I feel it will not help. I then went to my doctor and she told me that I have SEASONAL RHINITIS and that the nasal spray for this is generic and that supposedly being cheap it was not and I could not afford to buy it. Please if there is anything that anybody knows of that is EFFECTIVE please let me know as it is causing personal problems!! I am a 28yr old female. And i know I do not have any allergies to anything.
Tags: snoring
The onset of snoring following an intense dust exposure suggests an inflammatory reaction in your nose and maybe in the back of your throat resulting in narrowing of your upper airway passages.  The other possibility is that this was an allergic reaction and, with such reactions, people sometimes develop what are called nasal polyps.  These are benign growths within the nose that respond quickly to a prescription nasal steroid spray, as do nasal allergies.  The household remedies recommended by your father might clear your nasal passages temporarily but are unlikely to give sustained relief.

If this is an acute reaction, it should subside shortly.  If it does not, you should seek consultation with an ENT specialist, to have your nose and throat carefully examined with a fiberoptic laryngoscope.  Chances are good that that will reveal the cause of your snoring.