Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
What is going with my body?!

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

What is going with my body?!

I started suffering from allergies and asthma when I was about 3 months pregnant with my son in 2008. Before that, K had been experiencing gynocological issues involving pain, irregular bleeding, etc. After my son was born, the allergies and astha only got worse as well as the pelvic pain. I ultimately had a partial hysterectomy (only uterus removed), and the pathology report showed severe eosinophilic endometritis. When it comes to my allergies, I have developed chronic sinusitus already having 2 sinus surgeries. My last sinus surgery was just in march on all of my sinuses because they were all opaque on the CT scan. My ethmoid sinused had to be removed. I also have many sinus polyps. The asthma is hard to control sometimes even with the slew of medication I am on. I also became allergic to NSAIDs and aspirin about 3 years ago. I have also been experiencing bouts of hives on and off for about 5 months on my feet and lower legs. This last flare-up that I am experiencing currently, has been going on for about a week and a half where hives cover my lower legs and feet. I have also noticed some places on my hands and arms. I have experienced some angioedema in my hands and feet when it gets really bad. I am currently working with my dermatologist since she seems to be the only one interested in all the things happening to me over the past few years. Recent blood tests showed elevated eosinophils and so have past blood tests going back all the way to 2009. Every one showed elevated eosinophils between 7.6% and 10%. I am currently taking Xyxal, Singulair, Flonase, Astelin, and Symbicort to try to manage my allergies/sinusitis and asthma. Is there anything that could connect these ailments together? I just don't understand how I can go from being completely healthy to having all these problems. I have looked into churg strauss syndrome. Do you think this could be what is going on? Still going through testing, but I would just like to get some other fresh perspectives.
I am sorry to say but yours is an extremely complex problem.  The information you have provided suggests that you have some type of allergic/auto-immune, multisystem illness with one major cause, but possibly two or more.  Whatever is going on will require a comprehensive, multi-system approach to determine if there is one common thread that permeates all the parts of your body involved in this process.

That will likely require that you be seen at an institution where physician-researchers are accustomed to seeing the extraordinary; medical problems such as you appear to have.  The best place and the place where you are most likely to have a diagnosis established and appropriate treatment begun  is the institution with which I am affiliated, National Jewish Health in Denver Colorado.

I suggest that you discuss your desire to come to National Jewish Health with your doctors, one of whom will be helpful in arranging for your visit and, even more importantly, be very familiar with your illness, diagnostic studies that have been performed and the results of that testing, and your response to therapy, thus far.

Best of luck.
A biopsy was done of one of the hives that I have been experiencing, and the pathology report came back as eosinophlic vasculitis. The more I am up walking around and doing things, the more I get. One day I even got some on my neck and ears. The doctors are considering Churg-Strauss syndrome, but the closest doctor I have that specializes in these kind of disorders is over 3 hours away. I live in Ohio. You mentioned your hospital. Is there a hospital like it in Ohio? What do you think with the biopsy results with my other symptoms?