Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Why does water run from my nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Why does water run from my nose

Why when I eat does stuff like water just run out of my nose and then I have to throw up? had gasteric bypass and have been throwing up everyday for 5 years - almost skin and bones but doctors say nothing is wrong. It doesn't feel like it is coming up from my stomach - it just runs out my nose. CT scan of sinuses is clear.  What is this?
Tags: nose, sinuses
What you describe suggests a neurologic or anatomical problem with your swallowing reflex, with a failure of closure of the palate, a structure that normally prevents swallowed food or liquid from rising up into the upper part of one’s throat, right behind the back of the nose and then exiting through the nose.  This is grossly abnormal, as is throwing up everyday for 5 years, with or without gastric bypass, but it could definitely be a complication of the bypass.  If, as you say, you are “almost skin and bones”, this is a most serious problem and it is surprising that your doctors would say, “…nothing is wrong.”  You should clarify that with them.

You must seek help, without delay.  You should first request consultation with a GI specialist, a gastroenterologist and, next, consultation with a nutritionist.  The GI specialist can probably refer you to a good nutritionist.  You may also want to follow-up with one or more of the consultants who took care of you at the time of the gastric bypass.

Good luck.
I am correcting the way this reads. It is not about me but my sister who is afraid to write because she does not want anyone to track a statement to her. I am concerned that because I wrote what is happening with her and with consent to write it - she gave me the information. Her doctor said there is nothing wrong but if she doesn't get better she will die. She cannot gain weight is down to about 95 lbs. She went back for the doctor to check her gastric bypass a couple months ago and they said nothing was wrong. I can talk with her on the phone and hear the phlegm build and she has to throw up. But the stuff the runs of her nose and then she throws up she said doesn't feel like it comes up from her stomach. That's why I was wondering if it was an allergy or if anyone has any guidance as what else to look for. She lives in a small town where it seems the doctors are not very competent (for real). She had a major stroke a while ago and the ER doc told her that it wasn't a stroke he could see it in her eyes - needless to say after she went home and ate aspirin for 3 days they finally sent her to another doctor in a big hospital because not only did she have a stroke but was having more smalller ones.
wow, how old is your sister and she needs to get help fast, am so sorry to hear this sounds like she needs a new dr that cares God bless ya i will pray for her .