Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Zyrtec Dosage

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Zyrtec Dosage
I have chronic sinus problems and severe allergies. I had an in
depth septoplasty years ago, have undergone UUUP surgery, and have tried allergy
shots. Claritin causes stomach problems, and Allegra causes headaches. I have
been using Zyrtec for years now, and there are days when I take 5 or more 10mg
doses to get relief. I had been using OTC sinus sprays for immediate relief, but
have quit them, using only saline solution 2 or 3 times daily. SHoudl I be
concerned with possible short or long term side effects of taking Zyrtec at this
level?
The amounts you mention greatly exceed the recommended dose of one tab twice a day and raises the possibility of acute side effects. I know of no studies of long term side effects of using such high doses of Zyrtec alone but if you are taking Zyrtec-D that could pose significant risks from the pseudoephedrine.

The best advice I can provide is that you discuss your question with your physician and raise with him/her the possibility of other medication options.

Good luck