Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
allergic to antibiotics

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

allergic to antibiotics
My wife has had chronic sinus infections for years. She was recently advised that a culture shows that pseudomonas bacteria is the culprit this time. However, she was also advised that she is allergic to all of the antibiotics used to kill the bacteria. Any suggestions?
Response:
Your wife should consult with an infectious disease specialist to determine if:  
1) there may be another antibiotic not yet considered;
2) the Pseudomonas truly is infecting her sinuses or just a "by-stander"; and
3) desensitization to one of the antibiotics she is allegedly allergic to, would be a possibility.
Was your wife told that she was allergic to the antibiotics or is she drug-resistant?  There is a huge difference.  Pseudomonas is typically a very hard bacteria to kill and becomes drug resistant when antibiotics are used very often.  My daughter had pseudomonas several months ago and had to have her ear swabbed and cultured.  The pseudomonas was resistant to all the drug classses but the newest cyclosporin.  She has had chronic ear infections since she was a baby (she's 13).  I hope they can find an antibiotic to kill the infection, and do not take antibiotics unless the infection is definitely caused by bacteria because treating a sinus "infection" when it is a cold virus or allergy causing the  congestion will lead to drug-resistant infections.  I am a retired EMT-Intermediate.