Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
allergy to Neosporin

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

allergy to Neosporin

I burned myself cooking 2 weeks ago. The burns themselves weren't too bad because I attended to them quickly. I applied a burn relieving gel to them immediately to relieve the pain and to stop the burn progression. The next day, I started to apply neosporin to keep it from getting infected. Instead, I broke into a huge rash everywhere the neosporin was applied. I ended up going to the hospital because the rash was so bad and was prescribed prednisone, famotidine, and cephalexin. Everything was healing well once i started the medication about a week ago, but now it seems the wounds are infected again because they are pussing really badly. I finished taking the prednisone and famotidine and still have another day left of taking the cephalexin. I keep aquaphor on them to protect my skin but I was wondering if there was anything else I can do to get rid of the infection. Please help!
This is a potentially very serious situation and you are at high risk from infection.  I strongly suggest that you see a doctor on an urgent, if not an emergency basis today.  My greatest concern is that your wounds may now be infected with a resistant Staphylococcus, with a Group A Streptococal (GAS) necrotizing fasciitis, a rapidly progressive soft tissue infection or with an opportunistic bacterium.

You should be seen without delay, the pus must be examined microscopically and cultured and antibiotic therapy revised, based on the doctor’s suspicion of the most likely cause of this secondary infection.

Good luck.