Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
asthma or something else?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

asthma or something else?

My son is four years old. When he was old enough to run he would start coughing and i knew he had asthma. Well now it seems hes fine he can run and play without any problems. Over the past year he gets coughing episodes once or twice a month. Inhalers dont work to ease it. I mentioned to my doctor but she shrugged it off like its just a phase. Well the past two episodes i been looking at every symptom. Here is the list: starts whith onset of a cold. Snoring loud, swollen tonsils, sometimes a low grade fever, runny nose, last 2-4 days. Ibuprofen seems to help and after a few days of coughing he starts weezing so i use inhaler at that point helps with weezing but not the cough. Im a single mother and its getting hard to see him go through this with. I want answers and my guess is it may be tonsilitis. Advice would be great should i worry or is this something he will outgrow? Isthis asthma or something else?
It is possible that your son does have reactive airways (possibly asthma) that now is triggered by a viral infection rather than running.  For a 4 year old, this is quite typical.  It is hard to say if the coughing episodes that he has are due to upper airway causes or are related to his reactive airways.  If the coughing without wheezing does not respond to asthma medications, it is more likely this is due to drainage from the upper airways, possibly due to allergy.  Upper airway involvement would cause the snoring (from enlarged adenoids (adenoids) most likely), drainage and possibly the cough.  If this is persisting, perhaps another discussion with his pediatrician is a good idea.