Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
blood level oxygen

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

blood level oxygen

When I test my blood level oxygen with the finger monitor it reads 96 - 99 all day long however I went to a doctor who drew blood from my artery and said it was 55 and has put me on immediate oxygen 24hours a day.  Why does the finger monitor read good levels...what is the difference.  I am very worried and scared.  Thank you

William Withrow
  • oxygen (1 replies):
    my dad is already taking oxygen he has it set at 5, he i...[more]
  • can breath... (1 replies):
    my husband is 32 and in and out of the hospital because ...[more]
  • difficulty breathing (2 replies):
    I was wondering why I was still having so much trouble b...[more]
  • asthma & allergy (1 replies):
    my granddaughter is in the hospital, first they said it ...[more]
  • asthma (2 replies):
    How is it possible that when i am having a serious asthm...[more]
Oxygen is a gas.  The reading from the finger monitor, called an oximeter, of 96% to 99% is a normal value.  This is a measure of how much oxygen is actually attached to your red blood cells.  The result from the blood test, which is called an arterial blood gas (ABG), of 55 mm Hg is a measure of gas pressure, like the pressure of air in your tires.  This should be 90 to 100 mm Hg at sea level, so your result of 55 mm Hg is abnormally low.  This discrepancy suggests that one of these measurements is wrong.  Both the oximetry and the arterial blood gas determinations should be repeated, before the final decision is made on your oxygen needs.

In addition, you should ask your doctor, what is the cause of this low value of 55 mm Hg, and if there could be any possibility of carbon monoxide toxicity.