Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
breathing problem

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

breathing problem

for the last few weeks, i have a bad smell in my nose frequently (and only i can smell it)..and whenever i have that smell, few hours after that i have breathing  troubles..please help
It is not uncommon for a person to have a nasal odor that only he or she can sense.  Sometimes it is because you have a more sensitive ability to smell things.  Other times it comes from irritation (infection or allergy) of the sensory nerves within the nose or in association with what are called nasal polyps (swollen tissues that can block airflow through the nose) that by obstructing breathing through the nose can give the sensation of shortness of breath or, as you say, “breathing troubles.”

But we should not assume that this is the case.  It is possible that whatever gives you the “bad smell” is also irritating the breathing tubes in your lungs and making then constrict (become narrow) as happens with asthma.

My advice is that you see your doctor to have him/her examine both your nose and your lungs and possibly treat both.

This is not something you can manage yourself.

Good luck