Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
can immunotherapy cause autoimmune flare-up
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

can immunotherapy cause autoimmune flare-up

Could my allergy shots be revving up my immune system and causing all this inflammation in my body?
I have ulcerative colitis (7 yrs), uveitis (20 yrs), and recently scleritis, chronic tendonitis (4 yrs), sinusitis (15 yrs), asthma/ allergies (49 yrs), etc., etc.  Early this year I started getting allergy shots for my indoor and outdoor allergies. I am now having recurring scleritis, cannot take ibprofen or Indocin (UC).  I am about to start using FML forte drops every hour; they had to be ordered. I am HLA-b27 positive but other autoimmune tests like RA came back neg.
Thank you.
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
While certainly not a common problem, the fact that you already have such immune system related problems, it is possible.  Allergy injections work by stimulating the immune system to some degree.  If you are experiencing increased inflammatory symptoms, it is relatively easy to hold off on your injections for a while and see if you get better or not.  There is no definite answer to this question without a trial period and possibly reinstitution of the injections to see if a change occurs.  I would speak with your allergist.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker