Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
crackles when laying down

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

crackles when laying down

Well, for almost two months now, I have intermittent lung crackles when laying down or reclining, and they are usually especially noticeable when I wake up from sleep at night or when I wake up in the morning.

They are virtually non-existent during the day.

The sound usually begins as a single pop in the center of my chest and occurs at late-inspiration, and sometimes one or more pops follow it, at varied areas across my chest. Sometimes I sense that the sounds come more from my throat, and when this happens, it is usually when I exhale rather than inhale. The sounds on inspiration are usually coming more from my chest.

A chest x-ray back in February 2008 revealed granulomas, which were there and unchanged in a follow-up chest x-ray in April 2008. I have been to my general practitioner in April and in May about these lung crackles, and he could not hear them either time with the stethoscope. But I knew he would not as they generally do not arise until I am laying down at night.

The doctor first gave me an inhaler to try to open up the airways, and this did not seem to do much good. Currently I am no meds.

Beyond this, I feel fine. I have plenty of energy and stamina, and do not have a cough. I do have a lot of mucus production in my left nostril it seems, and can feel drainage sometimes in the back of my throat.

In any event, I am so sick and tired of these lung noises that I do not even want to go to bed for fear of these crackles. What does this sound like to you, and what should I do?

PS--the crackles do not happen all the time at night, and some nights they are also virtually nonexistent.

PSS--I also suffer from acid reflux, I think, especially when I go to bed after eating a spicy dinner
I suspect the "crackles" may be related to postnasal drip and/or acid reflux.  You should seek treatment from your doctor for each of these.  Other than these possibilities, crackles, especially those that can't be heard by your doctor are almost always of no clinical significance.
I thought crackles were clinically significant.

I just woke up (4AM), and when I was laying down, every breath I took I heard "velcro crackles." When I got up they went away. Other than that, I felt fine. No cough, no nasal congestion, no heartburn, nothing. This is a relatively new problem.