Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
dosage on benadryl

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

dosage on benadryl
my 3 1/2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER IS HAVE SOME ALLERGIES PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW AND SHE  JUST FEELS HORIBLE AND WE CANT GET IN TO THE DR TILL MONDAY NEXT WEEK AND THE NURSE SAID JUST GIVE HER BENADRYL WELL ALL I HAVE IS BENADRYL PILLS AND THE NURSE SAID IT WAS FINE TO GIVE HER THEM BUT SHE SAID GIVE HER ONE IF SHE CAN TAKE IT BUT I WAS WONDERING IF THAT WAS TWO STRONG TO GIVE HER IF NE ONE CAN HELP PLEASE HELP ME I NOT SURE WHAT TO DO! THANKS
The use of antihistamines in young children is controversial.  It is strongly recommended that they not be given to children <2 years old and the appropriateness of these medicines in children 3 to 11 years old continues to be assessed.  Assuming that you are referring to pediatric pills and the labeling indicates the dose to be given, then the dose would not be deemed “too strong”.  Under no circumstance should you administer a pill of a strength intended for adults or even adolescents.  If you have any doubts, call back and request that the nurse pose the question to your daughter’s doctor.