Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
ear swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

ear swelling

hi there,i had a shed built in my garden two years ago.I noticed a sensation in my ears after spending time in the place and each time thereafter that,and the more time i spent in there the worse it got.It feels like a warming in my ear canal followed by a salty tingly feeling which usually lasts for a week or more.Ive had my ears checked over and over again by doctor and have even gone private but they found nothing.Ive looked into allergies and it seems that i maybe allergic to a mould spore of some kind.When the carpet was laid in the shed it was done so with no damp proofing and i noticed a green dust which came about after the first week so i hoovered it up and thought no more,but maybe thats where my problem lies as the germ maybe airborne and effecting my ears each time i visit the room even though there is no sign of the dust any more.

Ive bleached all the walls and tried almost everything to get rid anything suspicious but still i get the sensation so now i avoid the room completely.As a result of all of this my ears seem extra sensative to any loudish noise and swell as if they are going on the defensive which feels a little weird and uncomfortable.
I just wanted to ask if anyone new of anything like this before and will my ears return to normal the longer i avoid the cursed shed?

Many thanks for reading this message

regards Lloyd
Tags: irritable
It seems unexpected that any allergen or irritant in the shed would selectively affect the ears, when the nose would be exposed to more of the substance, since air is being drawn into it.  The nasal mucosa would generally be more sensitive to either an allergen or an irritant than the skin of the ear canal.  It is also very unusual for symptoms to persist for a week or more after a brief exposure.  Finally, there is no way that I know of that irritation or an allergic reaction in the ear canal would make noises louder, since the hearing apparatus is completely separated from the ear canal by skin and bone.
Thanks      for your message ,the music or noises aren't actually louder but as i say the ears are reacting to loud noise by way of feeling full and swollen.I had a recent visit to my gp and have been told that my ears are full of wax so maybe this isn't helping matters for me,I'll get the wax cleared and then move on from there
is it possible then that i have developed a sensitive ear drum maybe ?Or would a wax build up aggrovate my ears especially when the shed air is a little damper than normal.I'm still getting it each time i go in the place and i know it sounds wierd but thats the bottom line and i need to sort it out