Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
eyelids, lips swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

eyelids, lips swelling

About a week ago, I woke with my eyelids grossly swollen (much worse than usual morning puffiness) and itchy. Just the lids--the eyes themselves seem fine so far. The left eye was worse.

I traveled for a few days, during which the problem abated. I returned home on Wednesday night, and the problem returned Sunday morning--along with swollen LIPS. The lips also seemed to have chapped areas around the perimeter.

Today, Monday, both the eyelids and lips were even more swollen. The left eye is reddened and seems to have a tiny break in the skin now (not present before, perhaps from rubbing it in my sleep?) and the chapped-feeling skin around my lips is also in a small patch on my chin. The itchy eyelids are almost unbearable! Plus I look TERRIBLE.

I have an indoor cat, but I have had her for 17 years. I live in the deep South, in an old, musty house. I am constantly battling cockroaches.

Is it dangerous? Is there any relief I can try before paying to see an MD?

Thank you!
1 Comment
I Just happened upon this web site looking for people with similair symptoms to what I have been experiencing.  Here is my story I hope it helps.
Last year I suddenly started geting hives all over my body.  My eyes swelled shut, I itched and I even had fever and vomiting.  I was admitted to the hospital.  They tested my blood and urine for everything they could think of.  Aids, malaria, west nile, mono etc. etc. and all they could come up with was an elevated white blood cell count.  The Internal medicine specialist who saw me at the hospital (in Canada by the way) put me on prednisone and antihistamines for allergies.  When the hives finally started to go away, they let me out of the hospital (about 5-7 days).  In about two weeks (when the steroids wore off) I ended up back in the hospital again.  My own Sister in law who works in the Emergency didn't even recognize me- my face was so swollen.  They pumped me full of steroids again and sent me home in a couple of hours with an appointment to see an allergy specialist.  I saw the Specialist who tested me for everything and determined that although I did have some allergies to stuff I already new about (cats and hay fever, pollen and stuff), his diagnosis was that I probably cought some sort of virus that caused the hives.  He said to stop taking the prednisone because it will supress the immune system and it should clear up.  I stopped taking the prednisone and went to Florida for a week and wouldn't you know, the hives went away.  Wow, Great, Problem solved.  NOT REALLY!  This July the hives started again exactly as they had the previouse year.  I went to the hospital and got the old prednisone antihistamine routine all over again.  If this story relates to you listen closely because I think I have the answer.
First of all, I believe the hives really kick in during stressful times in your life so if you read about the guy in another forum who took anti depressants to get rid of hives, he might have a point.  Second,  Antihistamines do not work for people with this problem.  I started asking myself why, and what were the common occurances from year to year.  A: Stress, B: Humidity,  C: Leaving my house made the hives go away.  I started thinking that something in my house was making me sick that related to the season.  I did some more research and found out that air conditioning coils can be full of mold and the more it turns on, the more mold spores spread into the air.  Now even if you don't have an air conditioner you may have mold in your house.  Basically in a nutshell, In July (where I live) it starts to get hot and humid so the air conditioner kicks in and grows mold and spreads it through the air.  Antihistamines don't work for this and prednisone simply supresses symptoms until you stop taking it and they come back worse than before.  Anyway here is the Answer. First, Clean your Ducts.  Second (and most important), You need to either get a whole home de humidifier or air exchanger (which will probably cost a fortune) or even better, you can go to home depot or home hardeware or canadian tire and buy a "Swordfish" UVC Ultraviolet air purifier. (www.swordfishuv.com) The Unit costs about $170 canadian and instals easily in about 10 min. directly in your furnace over the air conditioning coil.  Just cut a whole and slide it in pretty much.  It uses ultra violet rays to safely kill mold bacteria viruses and allergens directly in your furnace.  I installed one, and over night my hives were about 80% gone.  Or you could just move!  By the way, cucumbers on the eyes really really do work great to reduce the swelling.  If you don't do it soon you can get permanent bags under your eyes.  Third, Drink allot of water to help flush your system at least 2-3 quarts or litres.  Good Luck!