Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
fruit allergy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

fruit allergy?
Is there such a thing as allergy on fruits?

About 6 years ago, I noticed that whenever I ate fruits like banana and mangoes, my throat was itchy and my stomach does not felt good.  I usually throw up.  

I thought that probably my throat was sensitive to the chemicals used to accelerate the ripening of fruits or maybe insecticides.  But I found out later that even home grown fruits that were insecticide free caused me the same problem.

This problem developed to any fruit I try to eat -- both local or imported fruits.   Even a small bite of fruit would trigger itchy throat and later throwing up.  

I used to love fruits.  Now I cannot eat any fruits or fruit juice.  I can only eat "canned" fruits.

Is there a cure to my "fruit allergy?"  Please help.
I would suggest seeing a board certified allergist to make sure this is an allergy or a different type of sensitivity.  Right now, avoidance is the best action to take to keep from having a reaction.  Once you know the specific cause, the allergist can give you appropriate medications to relieve the symptoms and hopefully prevent them.