Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
is this an allergic reaction?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

is this an allergic reaction?

i use proactive on an on-again-off-again basis. whenever i first use proactiv, after the first night my face is always red, swollen, and terribly itchy. but i will continue using it, and in about 1-2 weeks  the symptoms completely disappear. so ill keep using proactiv for a few months until i get lazy and stop. but then a few months later ill restart again and that same redness, swelling, and itchiness appear after the first night, until after about a week of consistent use. then, symptoms are nonexistent. is the redness, swelling, and itchiness an allergic reaction?

helpful info : the VERY first time i used proactiv, NO symptoms occurred. it was during the second time when i began to reapply proactiv that my symptoms began.
i always start with small doses of proactive, and then gradually increase the amounts when i see that the synptoms are gradually getting better.
242587_tn?1355427710
What you describe could be an allergic reaction or a reaction to an irritant.  Allergic responses to benzoyl peroxide are not rare.  Any drug, ingested or applied to the skin, that consistently and repeatedly causes inflammation of one’s skin is potentially harmful in the long run.  I suggest that you discuss your question with a dermatologist, before continuing to use this drug.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank