Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
liquid rising up throat at night in pregnant woman

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

My wife is 28, currently 26 weeks pregnant and is experiencing liquid coming up right before bedtime. It feels like its choking her and she must clear it by spiting it up, sometimes around a cup of liquid per night. Has been happening for around 3 months now. Got a catskan done they found nothing wromg with her lungs which lead doctors to bekieve it was heartburn and proscribed a proton pump inhibitor which isnt fixing the problem.  She swears its not heartburn. Her diet is poor, processed foods fast food ect...She has had allergies in the past amd I believe it to be allergy related, she cannot sleep at night due to this foamy spitum thst comes up and its really effecting her. Any help please...
That your wife’s lungs are clear is very good news.  A cupful is a lot of liquid and the fact that you describe it as liquid, (but later as “foamy sputum”), suggests that it is probably of (upper) gastrointestinal origin, (stomach or esophagus) despite the failed trial of a proton pump inhibitor.  My advice is that you submit a sample of this material to your wife’s doctor, for analysis in the laboratory.  Gathered lab information on the characteristics of this substance could very likely identify the source.

Good luck.