Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
not sure if sleep apnea or asthma

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

not sure if sleep apnea or asthma
I have been laying on my back during the day wide awake and sit up choking gasping for air and coughing does so in my sleep and when awake when after the coughing I clear throat to
What you describe that occurs both when asleep and when awake suggests that this is not sleep apnea or any other sleep disturbance.  Your description seems to me to be more consistent with the diagnosis of Gastroesophageal reflux Disease (GERD or acid-reflux) with aspiration of the refluxed material into your windpipe.  You should check with your doctor about this as GERD is a treatable condition.
Thank you for taking the time to answer back I really appreciate that and when I can I'll make me an appointment