Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
paradoxical bronchospasm
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

paradoxical bronchospasm

My mom had a bout of pneumonia in February, recouperated at rehab for a month and came home.  During her stay they started breathing treatments which included albuterol/ipatropium and budesemide via,  nebulizer and oxygen during the night when she slept.

She came home on the same treatment (4x a day for the albuterol/ipatropium and 2x budesemide.  In May she had a severe breathing difficulty, rushed to ER, diagnosed as bronchospasm.  The day or two preceding this incident, she was not peeing as much (she was on lasix for lower leg edema and slight CHF).  At ER they also gave her triple dose of vasotec (sp) a lasix type med thru IV.  They sent her home after 9 or 10 consecutive breathing treatments and the vasotec.

This scenario repeated itself in June on two occasions.  The doctor prescribed a 10 day dose of prednisone as well, after the second ER visit.

In July, she developed  blood clots in her left lower leg, swelled up awful.  Heparin for 5 days did nothing so they put in a IVC Filter and sent her home.

On July 27th she was taking her 6pm albuterol/ipatropium treatment via nebulizer at home, as usual.  After 20 minutes and almost empty cup of the treatment, she went into EXTREME shortness of breath  (like the bronchospasm incidents) but only this time she could NOT get any air even though she was mouth breathing heavily but could not get anything by inhaling thru nose and out mouth. (Oddly, she had no breathing difficulties before starting her typical 6pm treatment and she was not wheezing.  It was just the time that she should take a breathing treatment.

She told me she cannot get a breath and I called 911.  A couple of minutes later she looked at me panicky and stopped breathing falling back on the bed. I started chest compressions and when paramedics arrived they could get no pulse.  They worked on her futilely for maybe 25 minutes, transported to hospital where ER worked on her but they could never get her heart started.  Why so quick death!