Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
pulled muscle from cough
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

pulled muscle from cough

i've had a cough for the last 6-7 days that keeps me up for about 20 min a night and yesterday when i woke up everytime i cough it hurts on the right side right below my ribs what should i do
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
Hard coughing can strain the tissues of the chest wall: ribs, cartilage or intercostal muscles.  If severe, one can even sustain rib fractures.

The answer to the question depends on:  
1) whether you feel healthy except for the cough; and
2) the intensity of the pain.

If cough is your only symptom, without fever or discolored sputum, you should try to suppress it with an over-the-counter cough medication.  If you have fever or colored sputum or otherwise feel sick, you should see a doctor.  If the pain below your ribs is mild and doesn't interfere with your sleep, more than 20 minutes, an over-the-counter analgesic should provide relief.  On the other hand, if the pain is severe or gradually worsening, you should see your doctor and you will probably need an x-ray.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker