Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
pulled muscle from cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

pulled muscle from cough

i've had a cough for the last 6-7 days that keeps me up for about 20 min a night and yesterday when i woke up everytime i cough it hurts on the right side right below my ribs what should i do
Hard coughing can strain the tissues of the chest wall: ribs, cartilage or intercostal muscles.  If severe, one can even sustain rib fractures.

The answer to the question depends on:  
1) whether you feel healthy except for the cough; and
2) the intensity of the pain.

If cough is your only symptom, without fever or discolored sputum, you should try to suppress it with an over-the-counter cough medication.  If you have fever or colored sputum or otherwise feel sick, you should see a doctor.  If the pain below your ribs is mild and doesn't interfere with your sleep, more than 20 minutes, an over-the-counter analgesic should provide relief.  On the other hand, if the pain is severe or gradually worsening, you should see your doctor and you will probably need an x-ray.